Saturday, June 12, 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_FYM2Y4AR4

Gang-

Check out this video on YouTube.  Cut and paste it into your browser.  I saw this some time ago and was shocked.  It demonstrates the ancient art of foot binding in China. 

This is described in chapter 9 as a way the women were kept in the houses and could complete with the concubines of the men.  The chapter briefly describes how the Confucian writers began to push the idea that women should support the men become secondary citizens.

I can't help but notice through the book how women's roles changed throughout history.  Plow horse harnesses and Confucianism amongst other things seem to be major contributors.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! That is amazing and discusting video at the same time. Interesting how they can re-train the way the foot and the bones are.

    I also find it interesting how the roles of women changed over time.

    ReplyDelete